1) The main reason for watching Thalaivi movie is J Jayalalithaa, who was the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu six times. This is a biographical film about his life. Kangana Ranaut will play the role of Jayalalithaa. Before her death, Jayalalithaa was among the most powerful female leaders in the country along with Sonia Gandhi, Mayawati, and Mamata Banerjee. Although Jayalalithaa came to politics with a film background. Being a biopic, information about important things in his life can be found on Thalaivi. Especially about his personal life. Relationship with MGR, why did you enter into Dravidian anti-Brahmin politics despite being from a Brahmin family? How does the film industry influence Tamil politics and why was Sasikala important in your life? These are some of the interesting questions that can be addressed in the movie. Because these things are very important in its history.
2) Thalaivi can become a great way for the non-Tamil community to understand Tamil Nadu politics. Since the film is his biography, the possibility that it does not include the views of anti-Jayalalithaa leaders at all cannot be ruled out. However, the interesting politics of Tamil Nadu in general, especially the synergy between the two main powerful regional parties, the Dravidian Munnetra Kazhagam and the Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam, generated controversy and much to learn about Dravidian politics. Regardless, Tamil politics in the common Hindi belt is like a puzzle. Jayalalithaa was the leader of Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam. At present, Tamil Nadu is ruled by Dravidian Munnetra Kazhagam and Karunanidhi’s son, MK Stalin, is the Chief Minister.
Kangana Ranaut in the role of Jayalalithaa. Photo: courtesy of Kangana’s Twitter.
3) Viewers can expect a good and exciting story in thalaivi. The first reason for this is the interesting life of Jayalalithaa, but the second important and strong side of the story directed by Vijay is that it has been written by veteran KV Vijayendra Prasad. Vijayendra has become famous across the country writing such films as Bajrangi Bhaijaan and Salman Khan’s Bahubali. The Tamil version of Thalaivi has been written by Madan Karki with Vijayendra while the Hindi version has been written by Rajat Kapoor. This is also an indication that like the biopic Bal Thackeray starring Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Thalaivi will also have different content in the South Indian and Hindi versions. This may have been done due to regional interest and popular audience perceptions. Not only is there a change in content in terms of languages, but in addition to the important starcast, some characters will also be seen differently in other languages.
4) Arvind Swami, who gained immense popularity among the Hindi audience through Roja, Bombay in the 90’s, will be seen in a Hindi movie. Red and Bombay are counted among the successful films in South India, as well as in Hindi. It will be a unique experience for the audience to see ‘Vishuddha’ in a Hindi movie after a long time. By the way, your fanatic Hindi audience has been viewing Arvind Swami’s work through dubbed movies. Arvind Swami plays MG Ramachandran in Thalaivi. It was popularly known as MGR. He was a Tamil movie superstar. He was the founder of Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam. It was MGR who brought co-star Jayalalithaa from film to politics.
– Kangana Ranaut Daily (@KanganaDaily) September 4, 2021
5) The main reason for not seeing Thalaivi may be that sensitive aspects of Tamil politics are not adequately addressed in him. The Tamil struggle in Sri Lanka, the anti-Brahmin movement, and language disputes have always played an important role in Tamil politics. Kangana is in the lead role and her political line is clearly visible in recent months. These aspects may be ignored in the film or its original form may have been modified based on the ideologies of the filmmakers. Different versions of the film in Hindi and South India also point to this.
6) Tamil Nadu politics has been dominated by the film industry. Like MGR and Jayalalithaa, his rival M Karunanidhi was also from the film industry. He was a famous industry writer, his politics in the Dravidian movement and the language controversy rose to the top and he became the Chief Minister. The political competition between Jayalalithaa and Karunanidhi, which was also very personal and delicate, was for life. Since Thalaivi is the story of Jayalalithaa. Because of this, the portrayal of Karunanidhi in the film can be seen as a villain. It can also be controversial in Tamil Nadu politics. At present, only the sons of Karunanidhi are in power in the state. Furthermore, its content may disappoint those viewers whose sympathies have been with Karunanidhi and his politics.
7) Jayalalithaa has been accused of corruption, abuse of power, public property, nepotism and political vendetta. During Jayalalithaa’s tenure in power, her friend Sasikala had a tremendous reputation, for which she had to face controversies in many cases. Jayalalithaa also had to go to jail. It is natural that efforts are made to save its image in Thalaivi. And the controversial aspects must be shown from the point of view of Jayalalithaa. Viewers hoping for objectivity in Thalaivi may be disappointed. Thalaivi will open in theaters on September 10.